Doctors currently recommend eating fish about 2-3 per week to get the health benefits without risking mercury poisoning. And we suppose it’s wise to avoid that. But aside from that one little risk, fish is really good for you. Eating some every day can give you a major head start on your RDA for lots of vital nutrients plus protein and healthy fats. On the other hand, mercury poisoning causes debilitating neurodegenerative disorders. Can it ever be okay to eat fish every day? Read on to find out.
What is mercury poisoning?
The biggest concern with eating a lot of fish is mercury poisoning. Mercury is a naturally occurring substance and is not problematic in small amounts. However, too much can lead to troubling symptoms that affect children (born and unborn) most significantly. Acute mercury poisoning can lead to permanent neurological deficits, including developmental delays in children.
There is no cure, but further progression can usually be halted by removing the source of the mercury. Really bad levels of exposure might require chelation therapy to remove the mercury from your system. Unfortunately, neurological disorders in children from mercury are typically permanent. Adults are likely to find their symptoms temporary.